Gum disease is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, gum disease is preventable. Yet it has become so common in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association. Gum disease can be treated. at Advanced Dentistry of Charlotte.
Some useful things to know about gum disease:
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of cavities.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors include tobacco use, dissatisfactory oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.