Our teeth work hard and are constantly under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Tragically, enamel erosion is extremely common, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Advanced Dentistry of Charlotte – Dr. Christopher A. Bowman, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt further erosion if some has already taken place.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been eroded, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Vigorous brushing can weaken enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as detrimental as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent future erosion. Several dental procedures can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call Advanced Dentistry of Charlotte – Dr. Christopher A. Bowman today at 704-337-8070 to schedule an examination. Dr. Bowman will give you advice on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.