Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and pricey to repair. This post from Advanced Dentistry of Charlotte contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
- We have to state the obvious: don’t chew on hard things. Mind-blowing, right? People should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Also be careful with pitted fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the stone, you could damage a tooth.
- It is critical to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth protector.
- Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Use scissors to open a string cheese or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
- Most people know that grinding your teeth is detrimental, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, speak with your dentist so you can address the problem with stress reduction techniques and/or a mouth guard. Having headaches or jaw pain frequently can be a symptom of teeth grinding.
- Finally, make sure that you visit us for regular check-ups and cleanings. We can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. We may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Take care of these cracks before the whole tooth is in danger.
At Advanced Dentistry of Charlotte, the dental health of our patients is or top priority every single day. Patients from Myers Park, Cotswold, and South Park come to us for general and restorative dentistry. Schedule your next checkup with us today!
Contact Advanced Dentistry of Charlotte – Dr. Christopher A. Bowman:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
1618 E Morehead St Ste 100
Charlotte, North Carolina